Saturday, September 20, 2008

The trip from Boston to Nairobi Kenya.

Nairobi Kenya is a long way from Boston. With the stop in London it will have been 14 hours with little sleep. Heathrow airport just keeps growing with me having to leave from the new terminal 5 with sub terminals B and C. I certainly got my exercise going from an arrival at terminal 2 and departure from 5B by way of 5A. However, part of our group from the Philadelphia area was also in Heathrow and going on the same flight to Nairobi as I. By the way, it is longer from Heathrow to Nairobi than from Boston to Heathrow by several hours. There is a lot of desert between the two cities. Nairobi is actually just south of the equator so this trip will be my first to the southern hemisphere but just barely. The Rotarians I met at Heathrow all had their tea shirts on that were specially made up for this trip. This makes them easy to spot. I won’t get mine until we get to Nairobi. At the airport I got some Kenyan shillings make even the poor old dollar look good with an exchange rate of about 65:1

After we arrive I will be taken to the home of the local Rotarian who will be hosting me and hopefully get some much needed sleep. Tomorrow we have an orientation day and will start our work at the AIDS clinics the following day.

No comments: